Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Skinny Ski Fun

Kelly and I finally gave cross country skiing a shot. I have been wanting to give the skinny skis a try for awhile, but for whatever reason it never happened. With all the snow we have been getting there was no excuse, sowe headed out to Camp Sagawau in Lemont to rent skis. The park is part of the Cook County Forest Preserve and there are a several miles of groomed trails to ski. I consider myself a pretty good downhill skier, but even the smallest incline had me pushing my limits. At first we could barely get moving forward, but after a couple of laps on the beginner lap we both were picking up some speed. and a little fluidity.


Kelly showing me how it is done.


Fake Action Shot

Once agian I had to bring out the old school Briko sunglasses for the day. It seems that the only group of athletes other than cyclist that wear Brikos are nordic skiers. It also seems that nordic skiers may be the only other group of athletes that rival cyclist in their love of blood doping.

The next day our legs were beat. Definitely a great workout, I would love to live somewhere with more consistent snow so I could ski alll winter. I'm heading out again this Saturday with a teammate that knows what he is doing on skis so hopefully I can pick up some pointers.

No comments: