Monday, January 14, 2008

Banjo out of Tune

The last four or five months I've had some pain in my right knee, mostly when running, but it recently started bothering me on the bike. Essentially my knee would tighten up after a few minutes of running or after a bit longer on the bike. I finally came to the conclusion it wasn't getting any better and made an appointment to see a Orthopedist. The Doctor took some X-Rays and found no structural damage, good news! Upon his physical exam he found the my IT band was super tight and most likely the cause of the pain. He described my IT band as "Banjo stringing" and the "Tightest he had ever seen". Not good, but he does think with a month of physical therapy and home excersises it should be back to normal. I am glad to hopefully have figured out the cause of the pain. I was hesitant to see a doctor during cross season, as I really wanted to keep racing, and was worried I was going to be told to stop exercising. I guess I am lucky it wasn't a major issue, and I really hope this next month will get it back to normal. Hopefully it also explains why I was so slow running up Cricket Hill at the State Championships.

2 comments:

John said...

Is that because of the Saul Smith brace/knee warmer?

Greg Heck said...

Wring knee. I wear the Saul Smith on the left knee. This pain is in my right knee. I guess I am just getting old!!